Thread: YMCA
View Single Post
Old 12-03-19, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronksmil 1 View Post
Hi BC and Mark, i have a strong interest in the patriotic badges during ww1 in
australia.I believe i have the hat badge for the ymca collars with the red triangle
and wattle motif.I will post some photo's from my collection soon.It is really good
to see these badges as there are no photographic studies i know of for these and other patriotic badges. Mike.
Yes I agree... the philanthropics are generally misunderstood and very under-documented. Alfred Festberg's 1966 book on insignia for the Australian Army's Order of Battle ('OrBatt'), was the last published study on the topic that I am aware of. A.N. Festberg covered the insignia which philanthropic organisations were/are authorised to wear on Australian Army uniforms.

Of course, the Everymans' Welfare Service and the Red Cross and Salvos, YMCA and YWCA have published independent organisational histories of their own, however most of those are very hard to find reference sources as well.

Having said that, we have done a reasonable job (I hope) of providing a guide to the philanthropics in the post 1953 ('QEII') era and until we (or others) manage to produce similar books covering earlier periods up to 1953, this may well be the best place to publish details of items which have been seen in circulation.

I think that's an excellent purpose for a forum like this one

Yours in research and collecting
Mark