View Single Post
Old 20-11-21, 12:30 AM

A lovely set there KapitiDave, thank you for posting them.

Your S wing certainly proves conclusively the existence of converted 'N' wings, as mentioned previously. It begs the question why? It would logically be when metal 'S' wings were not officially issued, but clearly after the 'S' wing was generally (in cloth) in use otherwise. So, if the S wing was in use, but the metal version had not been authorised, it would be logical that some blokes had some made, and I'd think this was probably not a one off.

Yours is certainly a converted 'N' wing, mine has a better 'S' (IE of the exact same style to the 'N', 'AG' and 'E') and might be cast. But I think it goes to prove that S wings were certainly in use before official issues.

It reminds me of the RAFs Meteorological Air Observer 'M' wing. I have a 1945 issue wing from the man who was issued it. In a letter to me he said he was flying as a 'Met Man' from 1942, and from that date had an 'N' wing reworked into an 'M' wing (which he still had although sadly I didn't see it) which he wore operationally from 1942. The 'M' wing was officially authorised in the spring of 1945.