View Single Post
Old 03-01-23, 04:54 PM

Default GQ Parachute Wings Badge - Date of Issue

Hi wonderful people, and thanks for allowing me to join!

I've had the opportunity to look a bit more carefully at my Grandfather's enamelled GQ Parachute Wings Badge (link to photo here). From other examples I can find online, it seems a bit unusual in that a) it has a buttonhole fastening instead of a tube joint pin, and b) the button fastening is not stamped with the badge manufacturer's name.

Otherwise, it is the regular size and stamped "GQ" and "PARACHUTIST" on the rear as normal. The fastening is slightly bent, but it has been in the wars! I have only found one other like it online (it was for sale) but the owner didn't know anything about it.

I know the background on the general purpose of the badges, and when they cam into being, but there doesn't seem to be much information online about the history of the different patterns. Does anyone know if it's possible, from its unusual construction, to date when this one might have been issued? This could help to settle a debate over when my Grandfather passed his parachute qualification.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GQ Parachute Wings Badge - Front and Rear.jpg (118.2 KB, 71 views)