Thread: effin postie
View Single Post
Old 10-12-22, 11:48 AM

Several years ago I had a similar issue with Royal Mail. The postman had folded a large re-enforced card envelope containing a card backed photograph. The photo was damaged beyond repair. This was despite the envelope bearing a sticker saying "Do not fold" etc.

I wrote to the Chief Executive of Royal Mail enclosing photographic evidence of the damage to the photo and of the outer packaging. I told him that I wanted full compensation for the damage which had been done by one of his staff. I told him that if he did not pay the compensation, I would take him to the small claims County Court.

I further pointed out that I could, quite legitimately take his staff member to the Magistrates Court for committing an offence under the Criminal Damage Act 1971.

I concluded by asking him to tell me which course of action he would prefer me to take. If he preferred the latter, then he could provide me with the full name, address and date of birth of the postman/woman so that I could serve a summons on him.

Within a week I received a cheque for the amount asked for and a handsome apology.

Don't be fobbed off by a Royal Mail minion. Go to the top and push them into a corner.

To prove the offence of causing criminal damage under the Criminal Damage Act 1971, the following elements need to be established:

Damage (temporary or permanent) was caused.
That damage occurred to property.
The damaged property belonged to another.
The damage was caused without lawful excuse.
An intention to cause the damage, or recklessness as to whether damage would be caused.

As an aside, Royal Mail no longer ask for signatures for recorded delivery items. That policy was introduced during the Covid business. The postman now signs confirming its been delivered. Of course, as with many things touching upon Covid., they never go back to the way it was. A further erosion of service that goodness knows how many organisations (Doctors included) have adopted. Why?, because its easier not to do what was done before!!

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 10-12-22 at 11:57 AM.