Thread: Makers' marks
View Single Post
Old 20-11-20, 02:39 AM

Sorry I missed your last question. Yes it is indeed a fake Smith & Wright mark and differs from the real thing in several respects.

For starters the mark is on two lines, the only two line Smith & Wright mark which I believe to be genuine is found on the disc-shaped 2nd pattern GvR Royal Defence Corps badge, KK1063.

The size and spacing of the marks are also wrong. Several, like yours, have overly large spacing. Also note the rounded letter ends to the font, this is typically fake.

The mark on your badge is from a series of fake marks that cropped up some years ago. All are in the same Sans Serif font and they lack correct full stops and/or underscoring in the correct places.

This tranche of fake marks included some well known but also several obscure makers and outfitters e.g.

BP .& .CoLD.B’HAM

BUTLER ..48.. VICTORIA ST
............BIRMINGHAM

CHARLES REEVES

F.E.WOODWARD B’HAM

GLADMAN & NORMAN
.SPENCER ST. B’HAM

GROVE MGF B’HAM

J.W. TIPTAFT.. &.. SON LTD
.............BIRMINGHAM

JOSEPH STARKEY

JENNENS & Co. LONDON

JONES.. &...JASON..LTD
.........BIRMINGHAM

LAMBOURNE & Co
.... BIRMINGHAM

SMITH .& ..WRIGHT LTD
.........BIRMINGHAM

.. STARR
PUTNEYSW

SUTTLE CAMBRIDGE

THOMAS FATTORINI
...........BOLTON

W^D

I may have missed some.

The attached images are of the two Smith & Wright marks I consider genuine. I’m sure you can see the significant differences between them in all aspects mentioned above.

My observations and reply are in respect to metal badges only, not AA’s.

Finally, yes sadly you were ‘Marshed’ . Those PoW plumes are the dreaded ‘dumpy feathers’. Overly square, fat and ribbed etc. they are from the Martin Marsh catalogue and any badge you encounter with them is a fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0B3A4F9A-DCF0-4492-9AAA-CBC7786B3299.jpg (26.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpeg 695E8A39-E3EB-4061-9286-B6C326252D69.jpeg (22.9 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Luke H; 20-11-20 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Formatting makers marks