View Single Post
Old 03-10-20, 01:18 PM

Thank you tcrown. To me those bashed up loops look lovely and period, I like your badge. Were the badge from any other die I think no one would ever doubt it for a second.

The issue with these now is clearly some are not period with the Marlples & Beasley sliders and also the large ‘dustbin lid’ footed loops (attached) both of which are certainly not pre-1952 in my belief.

Based on silverwash’s and your examples I would suggest these have been restruck.

The lines on originality are now also slightly blurred with the flaws. Clearly silverwash’s badge is an earlier strike before they developed, however yours has flaws found on the M&B repro. Alas the perils of true restrikes.

The other alternative is the badges are original but were unfinished without fixings which were then added decades later. Personally I struggle with such a scenario.

Re the mounted badge if I had £1 for every repro I’d seen stuck on a tin, matchbox holder of piece of ‘trench art’ I’d be a happy man. Just the other day a member posted a very old looking wooden box with a fake solid Howe RND attached, sadly I cannot find the thread. A desirable badge on an ordinary trinket makes a £1 or £5 item worth maybe ten times that.

Dustbin lidded lugs is a bit of a colloquial term which you’ll find used by several members. My use of the term is to reference modern copper loops with a large flattened foot which is splayed out and wider than the gauge of the loop wire. These are very common on 1970s and beyond fakes.

I’ve attached a few examples as well as the Para badge in the other thread for comparison purposes.

Last edited by Luke H; 03-10-20 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Found better examples