Thread: Selous Scouts
View Single Post
Old 09-04-14, 03:08 PM

Thank you for taking an interest in the matter. Sorry for any delay in a response, but please keep in mind that depending on who posted and when/where, there may be up to a 12 hour time difference from where they are and I am. I will try to chronologically outline what happened from start to finish. I will try to show the correspondence between all parties and in doing so I have changed some formatting, removed some text, which had nothing to do with the situation, and, cover up names of people who do not need to be mentioned. If there is something I have omitted, it is by accident, but I welcome Craig and Peter to fill in any possible blanks from their emails. The “local collector” Craig mentions is shown in the emails as “OTHER COLLECTOR”.

Craig had mentioned, several times, that he would like a particular shirt, which is the one that Peter has mentioned, but, he also said “would be happy with any of the identified shirts”. Peter is correct; I did post the photo of one particular shirt on two, possibly three sites. By putting a photo up on at least one internet site is pretty much the same thing as putting it up all over the world…that is the nature of the internet. Peter was interested in a set of RhSAS wings and a ribbon bar.

I’m sure not everyone is interested in reading all the correspondence, although I invite you to do so. I will follow up this initial reply with the emails.

The thought was thrown out that possibly we all pool together, or, to figure out who was or wasn’t interested in certain things so we wouldn’t be bidding against each other, which if you did so unknowingly, could escalate the hammer price dramatically. At no time, that I recall, was there ever any mention of a financial collaboration or offering from Peter or Craig. That fell on my shoulders and the others were to pick out items from the winning bids, if and when I moved any of the items (see excerpts immediately below). Pretty sweet deal if you’re not risking any cash in the process.

Sat 09/04/2011 8:38 AM
'Peter Garratt'
Hi Peter,

I don’t know when I’ll get them. When I finally get the lot, I’ll know more on what I want to do with them. I’ve had several people wanting his SAS wings, but if I do do anything with them, you’ll get first crack at them. That I promised and I hold to my word. I think the medals come with that lot. Are you suggesting they are his father’s?

Cheers,
James

After getting the lot in and giving it consideration, I felt it wrong to break up the wings. It would be much like breaking up a medal group.

Sent: 08 June 2011 04:49 PM
To: Fourie, Craig
Subject: Re: RRD Shirts

I was expecting a note from you and honestly have been thinking of sending you one. I know you were intersted in a shirt and slipons. I have one shirt that I have set up with Ron's wings, and Lt. Col. slip ons. It's the same shirt that is pictured on the dust jacket of Pamwe Chete and was used at his memorial service. That one I will keep. There are three other shirts that have been identified, for lack of a better term, by photos of him wearing them. He has also signed the shirts. The slip ons are a hit and miss for him signing. Some are and some aren't.

What are you thinking you'd like to go shopping for?

Cheers,
James

Sent: June-08-11 8:59 AM
To: morgan
Cc: Craig & xxxx Fourie
Subject: RE: RRD Shirts

As per the photos I sent you would be happy with any of the identified shirts,hopefully the shirt on parade as per photo I sent you,color photo with the padre.

With the above comment made, I assumed Craig was ok with the decision I had made, which is where I assumed wrong. He still had free reign of any of the identifiable shirts of his choice.

James