View Single Post
Old 01-12-21, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I first saw this badge / photo some years ago and wonder if anyone has any info in it?

The badge is being worn by Flight Lieutenant Ernest Lewendon, who was Commanding Officer of No. 1426 Enemy Aircraft Flight, whose job it was to fly, evaluate and demonstrate captured enemy aircraft. Sadly, Lewendon was killed in October 1944 in the crash of a German Fw190.

As far as I know the badge is not German (the German pilot badge was in metal, with the eagle on an oval wreath, rather than a circular ring), which makes it a very curious badge to have made in the UK. It was clearly worn on his 'work clothing' but almost certainly not on his service dress. But for me, I'd think that an RAF pilot wearing a swastika on his uniform wouldn't go down well, even with his colleagues.

The odd thing is I found, some years ago, a photo of a re-enactor at an event (a press photo) in RAF service dress, wearing the exact same badge but in bullion (I cant for the life of me find it now).

I just wondered if anyone had any information about it being worn, if he was ever told to remove it, where it came from etc? Also, who produced the bullion version for re-enactors, considering it must have been a one-off?
German qualifying badge pilot (for full Luftwaffe pilot's course).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.0 KB, 97 views)