View Single Post
Old 11-01-08, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGP View Post
Thank you....another piece of the jigsaw (the last) is attached. He is the Sergeant on the RH side, clearly in the RA in France. Where the mounted stint was in the previous pic I do not know.
Well that is unequivocally RA so whether he was in the ASC before (I believe so from the mounted pic) will require further research. It was not unusual for Regular reservists to be moved between different parts of the Army over the period 1914-19, especially when wounded and unfit for infantry service (interestingly both Sgts on right side have distinctive brass 'wound stripes' on left arm indicating they have each been wounded twice). Other Arms had varying requirements of medical fitness (as they do now). Have you tried searching out his war record (many were destroyed in the Blitz but surviving copies are available online) or the medal roll (much easier and complete)? It is notable that he (and others too) is also wearing medal ribbons and I can identify the 1914/15 star ribbon on his tunic and there may well be othesr that cannot bee seen because of the quality of the repro. They look to me as if they are in Best Tunics (note 'pristine' white RA lanyards and ribbons were rarely worn in the front line) and it is therefore unlikely to be France unless at some kind of 'Review' in a rear area. My supposition is that this is back in UK and may even be at the end of the war, or just after. When was he demobbed (discharged)?

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-01-08 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo and added facts