View Single Post
Old 18-10-10, 06:51 PM

MASTER GUNNERS

Master gunners have existed since about 1540, employed under the Master Gunner of England, to take charge of the guns, ammunition and stores in some of the English Forts. A Master Gunner of the Trayne is listed in a Trayne of Artillery drawn up to resist the invasion in 1688, with a pay of five shillings, also two mates at three shillings each. They were incorporated into the Royal Regiment of Artillery some time after 1815 (Ordnance Office correspondence dated 1825), they were responsible for maintaining and accounting for the equipment and stores used by Coast Defence and later Anti Aircraft Defence. Master Gunners were Non Commissioned Officers until becoming Warrant Officers in July 1882. When the Coast and Air Defence Branches ceased to exist in 1956 the title ‘Master Gunner’ was kept by replacing the ranks of Warrant Officer Class I Sergeant Major Instructor of Gunnery by Warrant Officer Class I Master Gunner Class I, and Master Gunner Class II.

Badge of Rank and Appointment

1860/1864 Master Gunner, none or a Crown over a Gun, distinguished by their Officer style uniform and cocked hat.

1881 Master Gunner 1st Class Crown over a Gun, Master Gunner 2nd Class Crown over a Gun, Master Gunner 3rd Class a Gun.

1915 Master Gunner Class 1 (Warrant Officer Class I) Crown in wreath over a Gun, Master Gunner Class 2 (Warrant Officer Class I) Royal Arms over a Gun, Master Gunner Class 3 (Warrant Officer Class II) a Gun.

1918 Master Gunner Class 1 (Warrant Officer Class I) Royal Arms in wreath over a Gun, Master Gunner Class 2 (Warrant Officer Class I) Royal Arms over Gun, Master Gunner Class 3 (Warrant Officer Class II) Crown in wreath over a Gun.

1963 Master Gunner Class 1 (Warrant Officer Class I) Royal Arms in wreath over a Gun, Master Gunner Class 2 (Warrant Officer Class I) Royal Arms over a Gun.

c1980 Master Gunner Royal Artillery (Warrant Officer Class I) Royal Arms over a Gun.

2008 Master Gunner Royal School of Artillery (Warrant Officer Class I) Royal Arms in a wreath over a Gun. Master Gunner Royal Artillery (Warrant Officer Class I) Royal Arms over a Gun.

Not to be confused with; Instructor in Gunnery, Assistant Instructor in Gunnery, Sergeant Major Instructor in Gunnery, Assistant Instructors of Gunnery, Sergeant Major Instructor of Gunnery and Sergeant Major Instructor, Gunnery. All of which wore Crossed Cannon barrels (1864-c1902) and Crossed Gun barrels (c1902-) as part of their badge of Rank.