View Single Post
Old 23-11-20, 10:36 PM

Back to the badges, can any one give me a definitive answer as to these two RHA badges? They were obviously around long before 1948 (official introduction) I do not believe them to be fakes, so who were they made for. I note that the strap finishes outside of the circlet. D.J.

E Battery Royal Horse Artillery

The Royal Cypher of King George V in the centre of the Garter with a scroll below inscribed ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY, ensigned by a Tudor Crown. Solid.
Private purchase, silver. 1933-1934 and 1935-1936.

In 1934 the Battery Commander Major E. Latham MC., ordered all non-regulation badges to be removed. But it re-appeared in 1935, for the records of Firmin & Son, who made the badge, have it listed as "a Pagri badge for E Bty RHA for wear on the Silver Jubilee Parades" which were held in May that year.
The badges were die cast in white metal some with the manufacturer's name in raised letters on the smooth back. Those for EVIII and GVI were similarly marked.

The Royal Cypher of King Edward VIII in the centre of the Garter with a small scroll below inscribed ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY, ensigned by a large Tudor Crown.
Private purchase, silver. 1936

Marc