View Single Post
Old 10-01-18, 08:28 AM

Thanks for your comments Chay and Andy, the badge on my busby has been in my collection for over 25 years, it was the centrepiece of my artillery badge collection, but I think it looks much better now that it’s in its natural habitat.

As a member of the Wellington Antique & Historic Arms Association I sometimes put my collection on public display. The following photo is a joint display that I did with Tim Ryan (Author of the book “The Colonial New Zealand Wars”) back in 2009. My display of mainly WW1 and WW2 New Zealand uniforms and headdress is to the far left and Tim’s collection is the pre 1911 New Zealand volunteer uniforms on the right.

Of particular interest is Tim’s display of a Trumpeter Sergeant of D Battery Wellington Artillery Volunteers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Two interesting points revealed in the photo and sketch with thanks to Atillathenunns.
1. The use of 3 "loose" stars above the badge rather than the usual badge with 3 integral stars.
2. The sling is clearly shown in both to only have sequins for its first 2/3rds of its length, whereas all the Good Shooting for Volunteer badges I own, have sequins the full length of the sling. So is this how to differentiate between British and NZ badges?
regards
Simon when it comes to New Zealand military cloth insignia, the Robert (Pronounced Robear) family dominated from 1883 to 1917 and is still in the same business today in Palmerston North. From 1917 to the end of WW1 military cloth insignia was imported from England.

The following NZ Garrison Artillery sergeant’s insignia (circa 1900) was most definitely produced by the Robert family. All NZ made military cloth insignia prior to 1920 was hand stitched, the Robert family employed a number of local women who worked to strict templates made by the Robert’s, so there is very little I have found in the way of variations.