View Single Post
Old 07-01-18, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omok1 View Post
Those "marksman" badges are actually New Zealand Rifle Association prize badges. I have several. They come with dark blue/black or crimson backings
Craig I was in a rush when I made my post, I even used the same photos I have used elsewhere on this forum, but you are quite right, I have indeed made a mistake now that I have re-read what I have posted.
Both of the badges in post #2 were awarded by the New Zealand Rifle Association for the top 20 highest aggregative scorers for the Rifle/Carbine Champion Belt
The 1882-83 marksman “prize” badges were actually made in England, the 1884 badge was made by Charles Robert who established a gold/silver embroidery business at Palmerston North in 1882.
The 20 badges produced in 1884 are recorded that they had a scarlet or blue background, but I do have a copy of an original drawing by Percy Robert of a marksman badge that does mention a black background somewhere in my files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
You didn't take enough of our possums when you had the chance
All is not lost, lots of road kill around here if you are looking for black possum fur, but curse the Brits who introduced foxes and rabbits to us both.
Interesting post atillathehuns, busbys were the standard head-dress here for many years and I've often wondered how they were made locally and what of.
Cheers, Keith
Keith, I am not sure that your road kill will pass our customs laws, besides there is enough road kill on NZ roads. Regardless my Busby looks much better with its new fur coat.
You might be interested to know that when the Wellington Artillery Volunteers were first formed in August 1867, they based their regulations and uniform taken from an Australian Artillery Volunteer Company.

The 1867 uniform for the Wellington Volunteer Artillery Company was made by a local Wellington tailor Benjamin Poulson. The uniform consisted of a blue cloth tunic, with scarlet facings and cannon buttons, the trousers also of blue cloth had a scarlet stripe, the cross-belt and waist belt were white enamelled leather with artillery fittings, and the headdress was the busby.
I am not a 100% sure but think their busby’s were imported from England.

As far as I can tell from the evidence that I have seen so far, the Wellington Artillery were the first artillery unit in New Zealand to adopt the busby.
The following newspaper picture is captioned to be the Wellington Artillery in 1867, however the first time the No. 1 Battery, Wellington Artillery Volunteers paraded in their busbys wasn’t until the 28th January 1868.

The following photo shows the Wellington Artillery band, their uniforms were made by Wellington tailor Benjamin Poulson. I suspect the lace for the uniforms and Pill box caps were imported from England.

The following photo circa 1900 is quite interesting, it was taken by Wellington photographer William Berry. unfortunately it is in reverse.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 09-01-18 at 09:05 AM.