View Single Post
Old 23-09-18, 09:15 AM

That photograph was taken at the opening of Parliament in the 1930s. The officers are Capt Viljoen , Major Charles Meredith , Col George Brink (at that time OC Cape Command) and sitting is Maj Gen AJE Brink, Chief SA General Staff.

Viljoen I think became a Major-General and Chief of air Staff in the 1960s.

George Brink was OC Cape Command, then Director Military Operations, GOC 1 Division, GOC Inland Area, at some point I think DCGS and eventually Director General of Demobilisation as Lt Gen.

Meredith was ex SAAF and was a Staff Officer at the Castle during the 1930s. He later went to Rhodesia where he commanded the Rhodesian Air Training Group. He retired as Air Vice Marshal Sir Charles. A relative of mine was on staff of OC Cape Command in the 1920s & 1930s and Meredith's signature appears often on his conduct sheets.

Andries Brink was CGS until succeeded by van Ryneveld in 1938 I think. He retired as a Lt Gen.

I will see if I can dig out the dates for the change from eagle to springbok. The change of ornament had something to do with the weight or balance of it IIRC