Thread: Worth a punt?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-22, 05:27 PM

Yes, examples from both those manufacturers do turn up, I cannot comment on the plated badge you mention as I have not seen it, have you asked Sally for her thoughts?
I used the word precedent in respect of the actual plating of the 1915 badges and those examples certainly would not have been worn by a manageress, I did began my last post with the phrase "I think" and those remain my thoughts.
I also think that because a particular badge has not been seen by a particular person and is not referred to in a particular published work, it should not immediately be assumed that it cannot have existed.
I feel that you have hit the nail upon the head with Tony James quote, there certainly are so many question to still answer sadly.
Regarding your post script, I have no idea, as it has not arrived yet, come to that, neither has anything else including a bill or two, actually I can't remember when I last saw the postman.

Anyway, I will consult the secretary of the MHS on this matter, he has a truly remarkable home front collection, at our meeting on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I have seen the 'finer jeweller type hinge' on other badges but have personally not seen it on other OWS 1916 badges , was it used by both Gaunt and Wylie ?

Sally Bosley's site has a Gaunt '1916 Munition Workers nickel plated trianglular badge' which has the basic pin fitting.

Regarding the "precedent" with the plated 1915 badges , I can find no information that these were specifically made/issued to identify the chargehand/manageress. Both “On War Service” Badges, 1914-19 The Official Issues by Ton Tulloch-Marshall and the later "British “On War Service” Badges 1914-1919" by Tony James make no mention at all about there being a different/special plated badge.

While there have been suggestions/theories there was also the idea that the letters on the 1915 badges were indicative of occupations (which they weren't) , as Tony James notes at the end of his article :

PS. Is the plated badge you "snapped up" made by Gaunt or Wylie and can you post a photo ?