View Single Post
Old 10-04-17, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
I have to say I do agree with Charlie in that it is not easy to find these buttons and, as he says, it was not supposed to be! I have tried untold numbers of RAF buttons and never found a single compass button.

I am amazed at the number of different types that have appeared on ebay in recent years and I wonder how they have all been found, especially those within non-RAF buttons. I doubt if all have been passed on with a note saying 'compass within'! In fact I was beginning to think that someone was faking them as so many were appearing!

So, let me ask, is there an easy way of determining which button has a compass in? Or is it a job for an x-ray machine?

Roger
Hello Roger,
I truly wish I had a foolproof plan for detecting escape buttons - but I don't. To be honest, with the exception of the US Hamilton Aero escape buttons, which are almost childlike in design compared to those from MI9, there is no Visible way of spotting them... Actually with perhaps one exception, which even then may not Prove an escape button, but without this feature, may well Disprove one...

This is that almost (if not All) my escape buttons have a soldered uniform ring/eye, firmly fixing it in place. As if they did not, the eye would twist out of the button when a user tried to unscrew the button...

Remember too, that escape buttons unscrew both clockwise and anti-clockwise, as after discovery by the Germans, MI9 reversed the thread direction... see pages 112 to 120 of my book for more details if your library holds it?

Best regards
Phil