View Single Post
Old 09-04-17, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie962 View Post
A fascinating list. I originally thought it was only airforces who would carry these. The biggest problem is that because they were not meant to be easily seen if captured they are very difficult to find unless the owner tells you which one it is! I have been all through my father's RAF buttons and not found one although he assured me there was one there somewhere! I do have the two-flybutton version; This could have been worn by not only the RAF?
Charlie
I have to say I do agree with Charlie in that it is not easy to find these buttons and, as he says, it was not supposed to be! I have tried untold numbers of RAF buttons and never found a single compass button.

I am amazed at the number of different types that have appeared on ebay in recent years and I wonder how they have all been found, especially those within non-RAF buttons. I doubt if all have been passed on with a note saying 'compass within'! In fact I was beginning to think that someone was faking them as so many were appearing!

So, let me ask, is there an easy way of determining which button has a compass in? Or is it a job for an x-ray machine?

Roger