View Single Post
Old 10-09-20, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
The badge you have bought is a copy Guards Machine Gun Battalion (GMGB) badge. They later became the Guards Machine Gun Regiment (GMGR), with a different badge.
Thank you, Paul, and thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. Maybe with this many knowledgeable people able to assist, we can crowd-source the answer to another question, namely which badge should I be looking to buy if I want the one that accurately reflects Grampy's service?

In the Grenadier Guards documents I've found on my great grandfather's service, "Machine Gun Corps" and on one document "DMGC" are mentioned (I believe from other references that this refers to "D Battalion Grenadier Guards Machine Gun Corps" but I have seen Machine Gun Corps, Machine Gun Regiment, and Machine Gun Battalion all used very loosely and confusingly in histories, on auction sites, etc., so I want to be sure

My great grandfather's service in what is consistently cited in his official Army records documents as the Guards MGC, D Company, occurred entirely in England, at Chiseldon, and fell between the dates 11 July 1918 and 6 March 1919. So which badge am I seeking to represent that service--the two crossed machine guns surmounted by a crown in white metal with a slider on the back? One of the bewildering array of others?