View Single Post
Old 02-05-20, 10:18 PM

Default SQMS Henry Brown RASC (No1 Commando)

Thought this may be of interest relating to SQMS Henry Brown RASC, No 1 Commando. I purchased a small part of a militaria collectors collection many years ago mainly badges though i also obtained some of his files. Within the files i came across a letter from Henry Brown in response correspondence received from the collector. The letter i have attached (personal details removed) makes reference to his commando uniform and changes to it, use of the salamander badge and refers to a photograph which i have also found in documents i obtained. The letter has never been published as far as i know. Within the documents there is also a first hand account of his active service, again, i don`t think this has been published, copy attached. An interesting account from training, to Norway, Tunisia and on to the Far East. In Tunisia he mentions that the commandos were wearing US Army steel helmets, some of their smocks as well as using the American Garrand rifle! There is also a copy of the Bob Laycock speech addressing the commandos in October 1945 which is refered to in Henry Browns letter.
Henry Brown was involved with the commando association from the end of the war till he sadly passed away 26th February 2006.
I have attached relevant information though if anybody want i high res copy, PM me with your email and i will be happy to forward on.
The first hand account along with Henry`s recollections of changes to uniform hopefully will be of interest.
Kind regards, Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan_20200502 (7).pdf (919.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: pdf Scan_20200502 (8).pdf (440.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: pdf Scan_20200502 (9).pdf (648.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf Scan_20200502 (10).pdf (843.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf Scan_20200502 (11).pdf (839.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf Scan_20200502 (12).pdf (766.0 KB, 63 views)