View Single Post
Old 17-08-15, 07:09 PM

The brass item was standard issue in Australia for signallers, telephonists, etc, post WW1; the oxidised copper version was worn by CMF personnel from 1921 until 1930 and again after the outbreak of WW2.

The copper one appears to be from the early 1930s where oxidised stocks were returned to the manufacturer to be de-oxidised and were re-issued for use in that form. I don't have a specific document for signals badges, just have seen an entry in 6MD correspondence register regarding the practice. Makes sense, being the Depression.

The whitemetal versions were post 1930 for use by Light Horse and Scottish units of Aust Army.

The blue and white enamelled badges appear to have been private purchase, I have a photo of a Great War AIF gunners tunic still in the possession of the family with this badge on it. Recently I did see something, possibly on this forum, about signalmen graduating from LHQ School of Signals and being awarded this badge. Will have to jog some brain cells, saw it and didn't bother recording it because it didn't apply to artillery sigs.

Brass, oxidised copper and whitemetal crossed flags with a star above in the same metal were worn by wireless operators of non-Corps of Signals units.

Keith