View Single Post
Old 25-11-19, 12:22 PM

Hello! Is your question related to British Army rank badges or South African Army? As South African Army is concerned, I have got in my collection a Leather Jerkin that has been provided with a cloth collar and rank epaulettes: the rank pips have got a red backing, so I guess backing were used in combat order, whereas brass or bronze pips for the parade ground, walking out BD and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosters Cloth View Post
Gentlemen,

Can anyone help me out here please? I'm trying to establish when officers wore the colour backing behind their rank badges (pips and crowns) on Battledress.

ACI 1118 of 1940 lists the colours to be worn, and later amendments like the Recce Corps green (ACI 420 of 1941) etc, were also made. I can't find the RADC (green) as yet though!

Some examples:

RAC - yellow. RA - red. RE - blue. R. Sigs - blue. Infantry - scarlet.
RASC - yellow. Air Defence Corps - green. RAPC - yellow. Int Corps- green.

My question is: when did officers wear these colours behind their rank badges? What I mean is, were the standard khaki type the default working dress / battle order type and were the coloured backings worn at HQ level, on best order / parade ground dress, etc, or, as has been suggested...vice versa for battlefield identification?

Help?

Ken