View Single Post
Old 08-12-16, 09:29 AM

The following which appeared in The Formation Sign, Journal of the Military Heraldry Society in November 2013 was written by John M Allison who was instrumental in getting the Glossop badge introduced

The Royal Signals was established in Glossop, Derbyshire [a market town 13 miles south east of Manchester] in May 1939 when 350 men were recruited in a single evening to form 1 and 2 Squadrons of 2 (North Midland) Corps Signals. They entrained for their first camp at Skegness on 18th August that year. Mobilised on 1st September 1939 the unit went through extensive training at areas including Bakewell, Maresfield, Chalfont St Giles and Beverley before dispersing to various theatres. Reformed in 1946 the unit moved in 1951 to new hutted accommodation at Dinting, Glossop which was home until the unit closed in 1967.

Between 1947 and 1961 the unit went through various re-organisations, in later years as part of 42 Signal Regiment and finally a detachment of 64 Signal Regiment. Having joined the unit as an Officer Cadet in 1963 I, together with a colleague always wished to be granted the Freedom of Glossop; although a vain aspiration we spent much time cultivating the Mayor of Glossop. Our aim, modified to “Adoption” as in the wartime adoption of ships and aircraft finally came to fruition in March 1967 when we were invited by the Mayor, Councillor Ada Williams to the Mayor’s Parlour to receive a “Letter of Recognition” from the Borough along with Glossop flashes commissioned by the Borough. These were to be worn on the right arm of battledress below our formation sign, at that date that of HQ UK Land Forces – The Corps Dress Committee was not consulted! When the 1967 TA re-organisation closed Glossop most of us transferred to 64 Sqdn, 38 Signal Regiment (V) in Sheffield where the new Regular CO, Lt Col John Francis happily agreed that we could wear the flashes until combat kit replaced battledress. Thus the Glossop flash is now just a sought-after collectable.

After the presentation I asked our storeman L/Cpl Graham Arnett, amongst the party attending, if he had enjoyed the evening. His reply “Yes, but I’ll pay for it in the morning” surprised me as he had drunk only one whisky. He explained with a grin “The Mayor’s attendant who just served me with whisky in cut glass from a silver salver is my boss, the Yard Superintendent. I’m a lowly Binman – but it will be worth it!”

A scan of the badge is attached.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64 Signal Regt Glossop flash.jpg (50.2 KB, 22 views)