Thread: Mystery Ampule
View Single Post
Old 31-07-22, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Rob

I know a little bit about WWI military medicine and this is almost certainly a drug ampoule. What is in it is anyone's guess, as by 1917 or so, many stretcher bearers and probably many private soldiers would have carried morphine ampoules with them onto the battlefield.

PLEASE don't bin it!

Peter
Morphine was supplied in ampoules as a clear liquid , I have seen ampoules from WW1 era in the Surgical Museum of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and the "Old Operating Theatre" of St.Thomas' Hospital London. Even after over 100 years the liquid remains clear , the only dark coloured solution I have seen in ampoules from that period is iodine.

Found a mention on GWF about iodine :

Quote:
The War Office issued this instruction to the Director of Medical Services BEF on 7 March, 1916;

‘I am directed to acquaint you that a supply of ampoules or glass bulbs containing tincture of iodine is ready for despatch to the Expeditionary Force, with a view to the distribution of an ampoule to each soldier.

Each ampoule is enclosed in a metal or cardboard case with printed directions on the outside, and should be carried by the soldier in the same pocket of his jacket as the Field Dressing…’
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St.Thomas' 1.jpg (66.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg St.Thomas' 2.jpg (88.8 KB, 23 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted