View Single Post
Old 09-04-21, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emties View Post
Hi Guys,
Recently picked up this badge that I have been told is a British Forage Cap badge. I cannot find any info on the Royal Carnarvon's and any help or assistance would be appreciated.
To come back on the original question.
I have some notes about these badges. They say that these so called "scroll badges" were worn on so called "pill box caps" (not Forage Caps).

The note says also that they were in use 1858 - 1874 (I assume that 1874 saw the end of the wearing of the pill box caps).

Like @41st, I understand that a stringed bugle was worn above them, except for the grenadier companies (that apparently still existed in such units at that time), who wore grenades.

Then about the unit itself.
I do not know much about the earlier history, but in 1833, when the Militia regiments got new precedence number (earlier they were renumbered by ballot many times), it became 56th, or Royal Carnarvon Rifles Regiment of Militia.
In 1860 it merged with the 61st, or Royal Anglesey Light Infantry Regiment of Militia into the 56th, or Royal Carnarvon and Anglesey Rifles Militia.
In 1876 they were split again and the Carnarvon reverted to their original designation.

The Childers reforms of 1881 made them 4th Battalion, The Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

In the 1908 reorganisation they were disbanded.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages