View Single Post
Old 26-03-21, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post

Interesting that my nickel plated badge carries the "fire gilt" backstamp.

Any comments on the enameled badge?

I'm sure that these nickeled/ enameled badges had some function to indicate seniority or status
My view is that these are 'post production' variations as the nickel/silver/chrome badges appear to be standard badges (by various manufacturers and different series) that have been 'plated' after the number has been stamped on the rear (either on horseshoe fitting or directly on the Wooley examples).

Regarding certain badges being seniority/status related , I personally feel there is no evidence to back this up. While it is possible that certain factories may have wanted to differentiate between levels of staff , it is probable that individuals simply wanted to 'enhance' their own badges (possibly after their employment finished).

It is worth remembering that Tom Tulloch-Marshall (2001) , and later Tony James (2012) , both were of the opinion that the series letters on the 1915 OWS badges were possibly indications of the trade/position of the employee. This 'theory' is no longer accepted but shows that even 9 years ago there were details about these badges that further research has shown to be inaccurate.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted