View Single Post
Old 21-03-21, 01:14 PM

Stephen,
When I replied there was absolutely no thought whatsoever in my mind that you were in anyway, a "new" or "newbie"" collector, you have been a member here for a number of years, as have I.
The two badges really are, unfortunately, completely different, as one is a poor fake, but, if it had been original you would certainly not expect that to be the case.
Both contemporary gilding metal and white metal had very similar characteristics that lent themselves very well indeed to really fine quality, as far as manufacturing badges and plates went.
The method of strike and pressures used differed during manufacture and clearly when you look at your two badges you can see the difference between old and new.
You would certainly expect an original white metal badge to be virtually identical to a gilding metal one, the dies used the quality of the strike and the metal, this is absent in the case of the wm example you show, also, in comparison with an original wm example with a slider, see attached, you can very clearly see that there is considerable difference there too.
You know, I always say to anyone who is not really sure, just ask yourself this, does it really look like an antique and if not, why not?
They are not rare, my advice would be to go for a lugged wm example although not to match your very fine gm badge, whish appears to have been shaped by it's original owner, expect the seventy five quid mark, perhaps a little less if you are really lucky, there was one dealer who recently had several examples at eye watering prices close to a couple of hundred quid!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Thank you Luke and Frank,

I had noticed they are different strikes, I believe made both in bras and W/M,

Noteably the feet are different configuration, glad that I have one positive example of this hard to find badge.

Luke do you have image of original W/m version for comparison.

Thanks for your knowledgeable advice it is nice to have support to rely upon,

Kind regards
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030606.jpg (55.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1030607.jpg (59.1 KB, 14 views)