View Single Post
Old 09-12-15, 03:54 PM

Gents,

The brass ISBs which we see in circulation today are, in my opinion, and to the best of my knowledge, completely bogus. My research to date has revealed nothing as yet in the way of documentary evidence relating to its manufacture, other than a costing estimate from Jennens, in Aug of 1909 (which also included prices for w/m badges). This estimate was submitted to the WO before it was finally decided that they would be made in white-metal only, hence the reason I feel the brass version was never officially manufactured/issued/worn etc.

From the outset the War Office wanted this to be an inexpensive badge, though paradoxically, the w/m version was marginally more expensive in the Jennens estimates.

During the period of the badge's inception, the then Secretary of State, proposed that the King reconsider his initial approval for the badge to be w/m, for a bronze version instead. However, the King was having none of it and aced him out by sticking with his initial decision/approval of the white-metal version.

White-metal and g/m examples shown below:

Regards to all,

image.jpg

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 09-12-15 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling correction