View Single Post
Old 06-02-17, 07:32 PM

Default Leicesters badges with oval braze holes

Hello Tim

Regarding Leicesters badge with oval sweat/braze holes, it actually rather all depends on the badge in question! As far as I can recall there are two different manufacturers’ types that have oval braze/sweat holes – one is the Smith & Wright variant, which is shown on the right-hand side in the photo I put up above in my previous posting. These have three large oval braze holes behind the bottom ‘Leicestershire’ scroll, and generally, though not always, two much smaller oval holes behind the ‘Hindoostan’ honour.

The other makers’ variant, the manufacturer of which I have not identified, is very similar to the Smith & Wright one, but has a different appearance to its face. This comes with only two large oval holes behind the bottom scroll, and two slightly smaller ones behind the top one. This other variant also comes without any braze holes at all, and an example of this will be found earlier on this thread here.

In case you’re interested, I think I’m right in the Smith & Wright badges come with non-voided and voided tail loops, whilst the other type are always non-voided.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”