View Single Post
Old 25-01-09, 09:07 PM

Many thanks for explaining about the weaknesses in Cox’s book Alan. To be honest in one way it makes me feel better than even he made mistakes, but on the other it also makes finding the right badges even more frustrating! I think you and Paul are right and the badge I bought does look unlikely to be genuine, especially as it has such good definition (probably too good) and is rather yellow in colour - which is what Paul warns against. Having said that at least it only cost me £3.42, instead of what the other extremely shiny examples which are more obvious repros are going for; and thankfully it also doesn’t have the Gaunt mark on it either! It was interesting that you believe this kind of Territorials’ all-brass version may not have actually been produced - it just so happened that I was sent some photographs today by a gentleman who has an excellent collection of Leicestershire badges, and amongst which was this (which I trust he won’t mind me sharing with you here):

I wonder what you think of this - I take it this one is authentic?

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 20-06-09 at 01:39 PM.