View Single Post
Old 25-01-14, 07:50 PM

Default ‘1st V.B. Leicestershire’ collar badges

Hi Dean

I take your point that the OSD Leicesters volunteers’ collar badge that Churchill refers to is unlikely to have been in wear from 1902 onwards, as he says, given what Steppler says about the 1st Vol. Battn only adopting Service Dress in 1906. For reference this is what it says in Britons, To Arms!, p. 110, on the matter:

Quote:
“The [South Africa] war introduced the use of khaki coloured clothing to the Volunteers, and in 1906 the new ‘khaki' service dress was taken into wear by the 1st Volunteer Battalion, their cyclists having by then already made use of the dull hues of modern war for some time.”
Having said that, I don’t think this has to mean that the Officers’ silver collars like their OSD ones could not have come in earlier, and they may well date from around 1902; which is when the 1st Vol. Battn seem to have adopted the tiger cap badge. Though I do realise that the scroll under these collars is the same as on the cap badges with the ‘South Africa 1900.02’ top scroll, in that they also say ‘1st V.B. Leicestershire’ on them, and that they also have the same ‘J.R.Gaunt & Son Ltd Birm’ back mark, which together might perhaps indicate a date later than 1902 for the collars. Sadly WO 359/21, the Pattern book of 108 designs of badges for Volunteer Regiments, that John looked at, only covers the period 1883-1899. But there may still be something at the United Kingdom’s National Archives that could confirm dates for tiger collars and cap badges for the 1st Vol. Battn of the Leicesters, and if I track it down I’ll be sure to let you know about it.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 27-01-14 at 12:57 PM.