View Single Post
Old 20-02-12, 07:42 PM

Default 1st Vol. Battn Leicesters Badges

It is indeed good to be able to see all these great Leicestershire Regiment badges, and I have to admit to being a little envious, particularly of cpgriff’s 1st Vol. Battn tiger badge as I’m still searching for a decent one of these to add to my small collection of Gaunt badges. As to the issue of the variant with the “South Africa 1900.02” top scroll, according to Ray Westlake’s The Territorial Battalions: A Pictorial History 1859-1985, p. 31, “In 1905 the battle honour ‘South Africa’, together with the years during which companies had been provided, was granted to volunteer battalions in commemoration of their services during the Boer War.”, adding that on many occasion the honour was “included in the blank spaces and empty scrolls that were a feature of the volunteers version of the regulars’ badges.” Here also is the relevant notice from The “Green Tiger.” The Records of the Leicestershire Regiment, March 1st, 1905, Vol. I No. 4, p. 5 Col. B., confirming the granting of the honour that year:

This would then mean that these tiger badges with the South Africa honour would have been produced, and presumably worn, between 1905 and 1908, after which the 1st Volunteer Battalion of course became the 4th and 5th Territorial Battalions of the Leicestershire Regiment. I also know that the regulars’ tiger cap badges design dates from 1897, the sealed pattern being dated 15 June 1897, though I don’t know when the Volunteer Battalion adopted this and hadn’t realised that the three lions badge was supposed to date from 1895-1902.

As Dave points out the ones with the South Africa honour are usually die-cast with blades, at least so far I have only seen them like this, whereas those with “1st Vol. Battn” on the top title are die-struck and with loops (lugs). The natural assumption would then be that the die-cast bladed ones are officers’ badges, but surely you would also expect to see die-struck looped ORs ones with the South Africa honour – wouldn’t you? Does anyone have any experience with volunteer battalion badges in other regiments and the use of a South Africa scroll? I’m just wondering why there doesn’t appear to be any die-struck ORs badges with the South Africa honour to the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Leicesters, or any die-cast officers’ badges without it and with just “1st Vol. Battn” on the top title? Maybe they do exist and I just haven’t seen any, so if anyone knows about this please post things up!

As to ST’s comments on hallmarked silver badges, it is very interesting to know that they do exist - even if I’m unlikely to ever see one! So far I haven’t personally seen any 1st Vol. Battalion badges that were hallmarked, but I do have one in my Gaunt album that’s stamped “silver”. I believe Bosley’s did sell a silver Territorial Battalions officer’s badge with “sterling” stamped on it a couple of years ago, though haven’t yet managed to find one of these myself. Really interesting to see your posting about the 1st Volunteer Battalion’s badges John, as Dean says a “little treasure”, and like the other members, I’d be glad to know more about this please??

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”