View Single Post
Old 19-03-10, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
I think the comment is a little harsh. With a huge amount of information with 500+ pages and thousands of illustrations in British Army Badges is it surprising that "some of it is wrong"?

I suggest that Robin Hodges was sometimes misled with duff information provided by well meaning serving officers and soldiers and perhaps the sometimes contradictory views of expert collectors. You only have to look at some the posts on this excellent forum to realise that we are not dealing with a precise science and it is not always possible to be right all the time! That said the typos and some incorrect numbering here and there should have been sorted out in the proof reading stage. Is a second edition in preparation?
Maybe a bit harsh I'll accept that, but with such a great book, it's just a pity it has some duff info, my mate corrected a bit in the shaky section and another corrected a few cavalry bits. It just throws the whole work into doubt when whole regiments info are wrong (The SBS is nearly all incorrect from what I've been told....). I never said it was bad or wrong, just that it does have a bit of duff info in it.

But it is a great picture source.

Tom