Thread: 1VB Leicesters
View Single Post
Old 18-02-22, 08:01 PM

Default J. R. Gaunt marks on Leicesters badges

Thank you for putting up the pictures of the different Gaunt marks Paul, I think it’s good practice to always try and save images of badges for future reference. Incidentally I’ve been looking at your interesting postings about certain firms and the war work they did during the Great War, compared with their pre-war work, which you seem to have found in the published Parliamentary papers. I must send you a PM about this, to find out your exact source?

Yes Neil and Keith are quite right, and all the Gaunt maker’s marks shown are stamped. Apparently a ‘naming force’ was used for stamping directly into the back of a badge, as opposed to the name being stamped into an additional plate, plaque or tablet; the ‘force’ is what I think some might call the ‘punch’ or ‘male’ die. The “J.R.Gaunt London” mark on the semi-sold die struck O.S.D. badge (it seems the usual term of ‘die cast’ for these badges is incorrect), rather than for Birmingham, is, I believe, because of the company’s outlet in London.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”