View Single Post
Old 07-10-20, 01:45 AM

Paul, thanks for posting your pics! All in the top row and 2nd left bottom row all look good to me for pre & approx. Great War period badges. The 2 flanking bottom badges (FN) and 3rd left are?? I say that about the FNs because I think they were still in the badge business after WW1 and the general shapes of their sliders (that's a generalized observation of FN sliders and not specific to your badges). As I understand, Lambourne was only in the badge business during the war, so if that's accurate, then this badge is probably the most definite GW badge (FN and Lambourne are the only MM Berks badges that I've run across thus far).

As you've mentioned in other posts about Berks badges, their tails and chins vary (webbed vs not--like you, I prefer unwebbed variants). I've also noticed scale shapes and patterns vary, the number and appearance of the wide "U"s on their backs vary, the shape along with the number of fins in their gobblers (or whatever the hanging down thing is behind their left foreleg) vary, the number of fins in, and shapes of, their tails vary, and few more things. I have been looking for and examining those types of die variations with the hope of finding matches to badges with known GW provenance.

All the above is why I was kinda longshot hoping the IWM's badges displayed on their website were possibly all mostly Great War. It's definitely a tough badge! Like you, my main interest with badges is the Great War.

Hopefully others will chime in on your badges, as I'm keenly interested in their opinions as well!

Jay

Last edited by SemperFi; 07-10-20 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Added comments to initial reply