View Single Post
Old 05-10-20, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
From what period are cap badges generally from that the IWM displays on its website, please?

I read on the forum that the NWM (later IWM) received much of its cap badge collection during the Great War and then continued adding subsequent badges, badge changes, and etc. after the war going forward.

Specifically, I am trying to determine if a Royal Berkshire badge they display on their website can reasonably be assumed from the Great War. It’s a difficult badge to date because the Regiment’s badge remained largely unchanged from about 1885 to 1959 (with the exception of transitioning from lugs to sliders).

If it’s reasonable to assume it’s likely the IWM Berk’s badge is from the Great War, I want to try to match the IWM die strike to a badge.

My reason for all the above is I want to try and obtain a Great War Berks badge for a ’14 Star and Bar medal trio I own to an Old Contemptible who was killed on the 1st Day of the Somme during the attack on Ovillers. For me it just seems appropriate to try my best to find a Great War period badge for this man and his medals he never wore.

Attachment 231773

Courtesy of the IWM
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30072079

Cheers,
Jay
I was under the impression that there was a key change in the badge of the Royal Berkshires from the Hart and Oak Tree badge of the Berkshire militia to the China Dragon adopted for the Field Service Cap which was transferred to the khaki Service Dress Cap and through familiarity during the Great War, was adopted as the regimental badge during the inter-war period.

With the suspension of Full Dress and its eventual abandonment, the old 'Hart and Oak Tree' badge was quietly forgotten.