View Single Post
Old 31-05-15, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Picked up a nice pre 1st WW photo of a group of officers to a territorial battalion of the RWF.
What's interesting is that apart from the coloured shoulder cords in evidence a number of the officers are wearing the wide flame version of the OSD cap badge and at least three that I can see are wearing the South Africa scroll OSD version similar to the silver & gilt one I've shown. The officer sitting cross legged far right is wearing a one piece version of the OSD badge and the officer sitting cross legged second from left is wearing OSD cap badges as collars with "T"s below, something I'd not come across in the RWF before.
Cofion gorau,
Kevin
Very interesting Kevin, the VBs and TF often seem to have done their own thing and it is interesting to see photographic evidence. I seem to recall that one of the WW1 Service battalions, I think the 9th, wore OSD collars as a cap badge. I recently learned that the War Office apparently made the RWF change their dragons to griffins some time between 1881 and 1895 (it is not made clear when). They changed back again around 1920, probably when Welsh reverted to Welch.