View Single Post
Old 21-03-15, 12:36 AM

Default Happy St Patricks` Day.....

Pylon:
Thanks for the pics and explanation.
Sorry to muddy things, RE; hackle and brush. As you say, both different, and worn at different times during WWII. BTW, the colours for the brush would have been white over green??
I find these pics most interesting, The pic of the Sgt Johnson and Clarence Rowe clearly show them wearing the hackle and the touree has been removed from both of their caubeens. I find your explanation that all ranks would have received hackles some time after the Regts` return to Toronto in 1946 logical-too bad that this can`t be nailed down as to exactly when this might have happened.
In regards to the touree removal, it would seem that this happened some time between 1944 and 1946? Again, I can say 1944 because I have seen a photo from 1944 showing two Irish Regt members wearing caubeens, that definately have tourees present. I wonder if an exact date for this can be established when the tourees were removed?
Lastly, if touree removal was an approved (sanctioned) act, is it possible that the touree was reinstated some time into the 1950`s? I wonder about this, because I have seen many Irish Regt caubeens from several manufacturers and dated from several years in the 1950`s, that have had the touree present.
Again, comments please.
Cheers,
John S.