View Single Post
Old 05-01-17, 04:19 PM

Default WRCNS

First off I think I might introduce the author of this beautiful WRCNS photo album.
She is/was Lieut(WRCNS) Joan Gilchrist. As I mentioned in my first post she was an early entrant into the WRCNS, entering on Jan 7, 1943 with ON W- 301Numbering in the WRCNS for 2WW commenced at W-1, so Joan was the 301st girl to enter. All girls entered as Probationary Wrens at .90 cents per day.

A little background on the WRCNS in 2WW -- WRCNS were officially formed on 29 August 1942. They were not an auxiliary or reserve service, they were part of the RCN & subject to KR & AI. The main idea was for WRCNS to be trained in trades that would release shore based RCN & RCNVR ratings for sea service. The girls were to be assigned trades such as Clerks, Stenographers, Pay Writers, Postal Clerks, Cooks, Stewards, Teletype & Telephone Operators, Signals, Radio & Coders, Cooks, Stewards, Motor Transport Operators. This list would expand considerably during 1943.
Entry requirements were quite strict for the time – a girl had to be between ages 18 & 45, Grade 10 education preferred, physically/mentally fit, & unmarried. Candidates for Commission had to have a Grade 12 education.

Recruiting began immediately & the first class of WRCNS commenced their basic training at Kingsmill House in Ottawa, graduating 67 WRCNS on 1 October. From this first group 22 of the Wrens were subsequently commissioned.

The next group of 70 Wrens trained at Galt, Ontario, which was commissioned as the basic training centre for the WRCNS. Initially named HMCS Bytown II, it was later renamed HMCS Conestoga. It was this establishment that Joan Gilchrist rec’d her basic training.
Basic training at that time consisted of a three week course consisting of physical training, parade ground drill, naval customs etc. No trades training took place at Conestoga, after graduation Wrens were drafted to shore establishments to receive trades & ‘on the job’ training.
Upon graduation a Probationary Wren became a Wren & her pay was raised to .95 cents per day!

HMCS Conestoga "Drake" building:

Joan's training took place during the Canadian winter!

Some of Joan's classmates in front of Drake building: