View Single Post
Old 02-11-11, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pearce View Post
Hi Tim

Fantastic collection, and thanks for showing it. May I also add that the photo's are excellent.

I know this has been mentioned before, but I will ask again. Are there any VTC lists per county, or related articles that anyone knows about?

Regards, Neil
There would have been list of VTC unit's throughout the UK, based on each County, as each individual "independent Corps" opted to join the C.A.V.T.C.. Their individual titles were then dropped and "V.T.C" added to their title - thus Newcastle-on-Tyne Citizens Training League, became Newcastle-on-Tyne V.T.C.. Those individual independent Corps which opted not to join the C.A.V.T.C., were obliged to disband.

The list would grow as new V.T.Corps were formed within the framework of the C.A.V.T.C.. On the formation of the Volunteer Force in 1916, the process of re-organisation began, in which County Volunteer Regiment, with Battalion's, Companies, Platoon's & Section's were formed from those V.T.C. units.

However because a new oath had to be sworn by each Volunteer, some of the V.T.C. units then in existence, either became depleted and/or as a whole decided not to continue and they too were disbanded.

I have the ORBAT of the Volunteer Force as it stood in late 1918, but to this day, I've been unable to find a comprehensive list of C.A.V.T.C. units then in existence in late 1915 early 1916. The closest thing I have is my list of all of those individual Corps and VTC units found throughout Northumberland & Durham for the same period.