View Single Post
Old 16-07-11, 09:37 PM

Both of those pictures are the closest i have ever seen!

My mum seems to think it was the cameronians? but she cannot say that with complete certainty.

He had kept another badge with it which is often described as the "bugle" style. It's small, round, and curves out so its not just flat. It seems to be a brass backing with some kind of light marble effect stone/shell layer on top and then the bugle logo with blue scroll type things top and bottom of bugle from what i can recall.

The story goes along the lines of he started in the RAF in england as one of the blokes who used to remove the chocks from the wheels of the planes .. which of course everytime this story was told someone cannot resist shouting "CHOCKS AWAY!!"

But when his own troop became less and less he was somehow transferred up to scotland to the cameronians (as far as my mum can remember the stories).

We have an old book somewhere that was what the soldiers used to carry with them that contained all their training and test dates along with from what i can remember - information on what jabs they were given and at the back it had the "will" section which my grandad never filled in. Also there is a rate of wage list still intact in its back pocket/sleeve.

However this book looks like his old RAF book which got a piece of paper stapled over the "raf info" page with some form of "land army" version instead.

I know its a badge forum but if you wanna see it let me know and i will scan it and upload it.