View Single Post
Old 26-06-21, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid10 View Post
Bill,

I am a new member to the forum and saw your question regarding RHF Pipers wearing their distinctive cap badge on a Red Erskine flash for their TOS. I know I am about 11 years too late.

I have a RHF Piper's Tam with Red Erskine tartan backing (see attached images).* There is a hole in the flash at the same place as on the Tam flash worn by the rest of the regiment.* Because of this, and the lack of two holes for lugs, it is likely the Pipers wore a white hackle on their TOS*(which I added). The TOS itself is very well made (1960s/70s?). Unfortunately it is missing the POM.

I hope this helps your project, though you are probably long finished!* I enjoy your site and use it to help me identify and look for new Scottish headgear to add to my collection. I started collecting when I was at Aberdeen Uni and continued collecting after joining the Army (U.S.).

Respectfully,

Reid
Not a lot to do with tartans, but an ex-NCO of 1 RHF who I used to work with told me that their Tams were tailored and shaped by the battalions tailor, battalions wearing different shapes.
As I recall, the 1st Battalion's Tams were worn with the sides raised and a fore and aft dip.