View Single Post
Old 08-03-09, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudiere1944 View Post
Hi BIll,

Very nice collection...I am in total envy.

I will take a stab at these:

First Set:

1. Second World War Canvas in great condition
2. Second World War - British Made- Chain Stitching...nice piece
3. Looks like one of the ones I posted today..does it have the White Cloth backing?
4. Looks post war...late 40's?

Second Set:

1. Second World War - The D-Day variant title
2. Second World War - Awesome only seen 1 other before
3. DITTO
4. Not Sure but it sure is one big title
5. White Lettering is quite vibrant...does it glow under black light? It sort of resembles the Repo title I posted earlier today. Nice piece in great condition if it does not. I can kind of make out the words to the side... ithetic aterial > with an arrow pointing to the title???

Anyways these were my best estimates...I certainly am no expert!

I included a front and back of another set that I have...they are definitely well past the post war period (60's-70's I assume)

Best,
Mike

P.S. If you ever have an occasion to want to part with these pieces....please let me know.
Merci, thank-you Jo & Mike.
Mike your opinions are almost exactly what I thought. One significant difference. The second title is the title that the unit acquired in Canada before proceeding overseas. (This raises the question about the styles of manufacture, and I have seen many samples submitted for sealed patterns at archives. The style of manufacture for some was what we collectors call Brit, but the item was submitted by a Canadian maker!)
Number 3 does have the white cotton backing. And No 4 is a post war example.
The second image, bottom title is a synthetic backing material. The title was one issued in the 1990's.

One of the puzzles of collecting cloth is the number of titles for units. Some units seem to have countless patterns and others only one or two. For example the North Shore Regiment must have more than a dozen distinct patterns and the Queen's York Rangers only one that I have found.