View Single Post
Old 13-04-19, 04:15 PM

The intertwined SB was a VF/TF badge for stretcher bearers, made in full colour [red, white, blue] and also in drab worsted. Photographic evidence in wear is substantial.

Stretchers bearers in the Great War and afterwards came in two categories, and wore different identification. RAMC stretcher bearers were an Established component of Field Ambulances and higher formations. As RAMC protected by the Geneva Convention they wore the Geneva Cross sewn on each sleeve and, when on duty, a white brassard with the Red Cross [also stamped for authenticity inside the band] In general, they did not wear the SB brassard. They were not armed because protection of the unit was by the ASC of the unit. RAMC did shoot an abbreviated musketry course however. The officers were armed.

The other category was taken from combatant units such as infantry and cavalry, and were nominally the bandsmen, although facts on the ground dictated that extra men were often required. They were fully trained and armed soldiers, although rarely if ever took a rifle along with the stretcher. They were not specifically protected by the Convention but wore the white brassard with SB in scarlet.One sometimes sees the RAMC arm badge on soldiers not serving in that Corps. I have never seen authority for it.

My query re. the SB wreath badge was driven by NEVER HAVING SEEN A PHOTO OF IT BEING WORN. Whereas I am confident that it was intended for bearers, I need evidence in wear to believe that it was ever much more than a tailors offering.
Please have a look at your photos, as I am happy to be found wrong, as ever.