Thread: out of Africa
View Single Post
Old 11-02-09, 10:32 AM

Well I am fairly amazed by this opinion........ In 20 years of collecting I have rarely seen fake NZ badges besides obviously cast ones which have turned up on eBay in the past couple of years - most NZ collectors and deallers would agree with this including both the Oldham brothers.

NZDF sold a lot of WW1 surplus stuff in the 1960s brand new by the bag full which is why you do get mint badges out there.

Artillery badge looks OK to me (mint) although these are only worth US$12.50 over here

1st mounted cap is relugged..... not new

1st mounted collaers are polished and have lugs crushed ...... not new.

2nd mounted in mint and fine

12th mounted cap is mint collars are used.

The common stuff is overpriced but the rare stuff is worth chasing.....

A word of advice..... Geoff Oldhams retail price is usually cheaper than eBay by miles of try trademe.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisapper View Post
Chaps,

I'd have to disagree that all of this stuff is good. the 1st, 2nd and 12th Mounted Rifles all look brand new with the 12th MR being a particularly nasty looking fake.

Take a look at the awful fake JR Gaunt tablet on his NZ Artillery badge.....

I have bought a few NZ items off eBay and have been pretty pissed off by the overall quality and the ratio of fake to original. I suppose caveat emptor applies as all the threads relating to eBay state.

Sorry to be the one wearing De Bono's Black hat but in my opinion these are really not that good at all.

Cheers

Rob