View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 02:33 PM

Hi Gents,

Some interesting and thought provoking perspectives and stores being shared, thank you.

I know from my own lifelong experiences of collecting my perspectives have shifted, no doubt due to experiences (both good and bad). I don't believe there is just one way to approach anything and it's reasonable for one to put their own unique and personal twist on what works for them.

I have always gotten a tremendous sense of satisfaction from creating a collection be it large, small, valuable or relatively trivial (to some) but collecting is in my blood and has always been something to enjoy and get excited about.

As has been mentioned by many, it's the research and education that has always been a significant factor in that enjoyment for me. The discovery of not just the item itself but the 'secrets' you can unlock through study really speak to me and I suspect to many here.

My recent experience of two gentlemen who were unable to agree a deal was not awful by any means but it did highlight (to me at least) how our own hyper focus on the monetary side and sometimes desperate need to 'come out on top' can often be an impediment to our own passions.

I know I'm not alone here in having benefited from the wonderful generosity of forum members. And I hope I have too passed that along in having sold some great badges/buttons for a fraction of what I paid for them and even just giving them away at times as it felt it was the right thing to do. Such acts I feel (where appropriate or possible) will always serve us and our hobby well and serve to insert a sense of decency and good will into this often selfish and challenging world we live in.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com