View Single Post
Old 25-06-10, 12:07 PM

Default More J. R. Gaunt & Son Advertisements

Thought I’d just put up a couple more Gaunt advertisements that I’ve come across recently. The first is from The Army Annual and Year Book for 1913, and, although sadly not containing any illustrations like the previous ones I posted, I personally think it is interesting if only as another example of how the Firm sought to sell themselves and their wares:

This particular add mentions the factory on “Warstone Parade” as well as the “53 Conduit St” outlet, and also notes the fact that an “Illustrated Catalogue” may be obtained “on Application” I think I have seen mention of these catalogues elsewhere on the Forum, and would dearly love to know if they had pictures of any Leicesters badges in them. Anyway, the next ad actually appeared in the 1934 Dress Regulations for The Army, along with other advertisements for Firmin & Sons and Charles Pitt & Co.:

By then the Company had moved their London branch to “2 New Burlington Place”, but apart from that the content of the ad is much the same as before - emphasising the wide range of items they made, as well as their “200 Years” of history. Interestingly by this point they were using the Royal Coat of Arms and the phrase “By Appointment to H.M. The King”, rather than the previous ones of “Manufactures to His Majesty’s Government” or “Contractors to the British and Foreign Governments”. Hope a few other members find all of this as interesting as I do? I always think things like this add a little to the historic background of the hobby.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 25-06-10 at 06:30 PM.