View Single Post
Old 29-06-10, 01:42 PM

Default The “J.R. Gaunt & Son Ltd Birm” Mark

Hello Peter

The “J.R. Gaunt & Son Ltd Birm” mark on the Leicesters 1st Volunteer Battalion’s officer’s badge is correct, and is not the same the later “J.R. Gaunt B’ham” marks you mention. The mark in this instance is actually on the body of the badge, rather than being a slider mark as the other ones are, and I am personally more than happy about it being genuine. I have actually seen a few Leicesters volunteer/territorial badges with Gaunt Birmingham marks as opposed to London ones, which would seem to demonstrate a consistency of marking in this respect. The Leicesters badge in question was formerly in the Walter Lambert collection and was, I understand, sold by Wallis & Wallis at auction. I have no doubt about the badge’s originality and provenance, and so, as I say, this would mean Gaunt were making badges with blades well before 1914 as this particular one would have been made prior to 1908.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”