View Single Post
Old 05-04-15, 07:47 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
A fine group of Rising Suns. Did the British manufacturers of this badge have an existing contract to make these when war broke out or was there a shortfall in the number needed. I assume these were being made in Australia concurrent with other manufacturers abroad?
G'day Irish.

Hope that you enjoyed the Guinness or 2 !!

The Rising Suns were made by a whole lot of manufacturers Tiptaft named theirs there is also one with a slider (UK made) without a name, I saw one last Sunday on a very battered genuine WW 1 slouch hat, the hat had seen better days but the badge was still a real gem. The hat had a small slot for the slider to go through but no holes for the normal 2 lugs, so the badge has been on the hat for 100 years! I didnt photo it at the time but will in due course, its at a small museum not far from home thats run by friends, It came with a leather Turkish set of 3 ammo pouchs, as in all 3 joined together, I will photo that also .

There are several named Aussie made RS's and many that were not named. All WW 1 & 2 RS's have Australian Commonwealth Military Forces, any that dont were made post 1948.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.

Bottoms up !!