View Single Post
Old 25-01-14, 12:11 PM

Default OTCs in 1911 & School Corps in 1901

Hi Stephen

Whilst John’s initial posting that began this thread was about the strength of the OTCs in 1911 and their formation dates, his posting about the article he found in Public School Magazine was actually on the badges of the School Corps as they were in 1901. You’re quite right about Uppingham OTC having a tiger badge surround by a wreath like those of the Leicestershire Regiment, only with a scroll underneath saying ‘Uppingham’, but back in 1901 they do seem to have worn the collar and other badges of the 1st Volunteer Battalion, as noted in the article. As you also point out, before 1908 some School Corps, including Uppingham, were affiliated to the local volunteer battalions. I personally think the article from Public School Magazine is a reliable source for how things were before 1908, certainly where Uppingham are concerned, though equally, as you say, Ernest J. Martin’s article ‘Badges of the Officers’ Training Corps’, that appeared in the Spring 1938 Issue of the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research, is an authoritative source for badges in wear at that time. One thing I’ve yet to determine is exactly when Uppingham adopted their tiger cap badge, though I am in touch with the School about this and there is something to suggest this was before they became an OTC in 1908.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 25-01-14 at 12:17 PM.