View Single Post
Old 11-01-08, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochim View Post
Chaps
Can anyone identify the second picture as i think the first one is Cameron Highlanders and also maybe put a date to them both.

Cheers
Malc
Interesting pics. I place the first pic at around 1905 and Queens Own Cameron Highlanders (only Reg Infantry Regt to have just a single battalion, all others had 2, most common, or 4). He is wearing 'drummers lace' (so was in the Pipes and Drums) around collar and cuffs, a 1903 pattern leather belt and is wearing a Cameron Highlanders Glengarry (with no dicing, unlike the other Highlander Regts, except for Black Watch who usually wore a Bonnet, although their band and pipes and drums wore a similar Glengarry). The second pic I believe to be RHA and around 1900, as he appears to have the ball (shaped) buttons used to distinguish that 'elite' branch of the RA from its (considered by the RHA) more pedestrian brethren. The Wolsey (not Pith, or Solar Topee worn later) helmet with its RA badge and Ball top is very clear and worn by the RA and RFA as well. The 3 letter shoulder title makes clear it is RFA, or RHA. It is also clear that he was in the RA before he went to the Highlanders as he has only one good conduct stripe with RA, but has achieved both a second conduct stripe and a Lance Corporal's chevron in the Highlanders.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-01-08 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typos and added facts